Hello,

First of all, Happy New Year!  :-)

While testing the latest Red Hat 8.1 beta (Phoebe), during installation,
fontconfig/Xft 2.1 appears to be selecting the wrong CJK bitmap font size
when lang=en, as shown in the following screen capture:

   http://foka.homelinux.net/~foka/xft/phoebe-anaconda-en-chinese-24px.jpg

switching to other languages, e.g. lang=de, seem to fix the problem:

   http://foka.homelinux.net/~foka/xft/phoebe-anaconda-de-chinese-16px.jpg

Hanzi fonts available in the system:
  zh-CN: 16px and 24px PCF fonts
  zh-TW: AR PL Mingti2L Big5 (TrueType)
  ja: Kochi Gothic (TrueType)
  ko: (I forgot which one, probably Baekmuk Batang or Dotum; also TrueType)

I couldn't figure out why disproportionally large 24px zh-CN font was
selected in place of the closest 16px when lang=en.  I have tried switching
to all other languages, and it appears that only lang=en exhibits the
problem.

In the previous version (Red Hat 8.0, fontconfig 2.0, Xft 2.0), a more
correct bitmap font size (16px instead of 24px) was selected even when
lang=en.  (I.e., it looks like phoebe-anaconda-de-chinese-16px.jpg)

Is this issue the domain of fontconfig or Xft?  Or Pango?  Or something else
altogether?  I apologize for my ignorance, as I am not yet sure of the exact
division of work among the three libraries.  :-)

Many thanks,

Anthony

--
Anthony Fok Tung-Ling