Around 21 o'clock on Feb 24, wujf wrote:

> I find when using non-antialias chinese font and antialias western
> font in mozilla, the chinese characters were rendered correctly but
> the western characters is a mess of pixels, and the reason is that
> XftGlyphFontSpecRender uses firstFont->format as the maskFormat
> argument to XRenderCompositeText{8,16,32}

Oops.  That's just a bug; it should use the deepest depth from any of the
fonts. Thanks!

> After read the Render protocol I still can't understand the reason to have
> this maskFormat argument, each glyphset already has an format associated.

Without the maskFormat argument, each glyph is rendered separately to the
screen while by setting maskFormat, all of the glyphs are precomposed to a
picture in that format before getting drawn to the screen.  Precomposition
fixes rendering problems where glyphs affect the same pixels.

One could easily argue that the extension should have been designed to
just use a boolean and have the server figure out the right maskFormat,
but it wasn't done that way, and it is relatively easy to fix this on the
on the client side.

-keith