Hello.

Platform: qt-x11-free-3.3.1, XFree86-4.4.0 (fontconfig 2.2.92, freetype
2.1.4), Slackware-current.

Viewing monospaced True Type font in any Qt (or KDE or even GTK+)
application causes each print glyph to be trimmed to its width (any part
of glyph outside its width is not shown). This is best shown with freely
available font face Bistream Vera Sans Mono Oblique (Italic). Just type
MMMM and see that upper right corner and lower left corners of M are
trimmed. Non-monospaced fonts are shown without trimming (they may overlap
then).

Such behaviour might be called feature and not bug (I don't like it
though), I know, but there is one weirdness associated with it. When there
is transformation matrix different from identity set (e.g. with
fontconfig's <matrix>), the trimming vanishes.

Screenshots from KWord are available:

http://www.srnet.cz/~stepan/temp/matrix_off.png (no matrix explicitly set)

http://www.srnet.cz/~stepan/temp/matrix_on.png (matrix set to (1, 0.0001,
0, 1) which is almost identity).

I wrote to the freetype list first and they replied that in plain freetype
application it works (tested on ftstring) and that I should contact
toolkit or application developers. So I contacted Trolltech (that is the
reason why this mail looks like Qt bugreport - it was) and they confirmed
the problem, but said they use Xft to render it and can't do nothing about
it. So that's why I wrote here. I hope this is the right place :-) Thanks.

I'm not subscribed, so CC me please. Thanks.

Have a nice day.

Stepan Roh