If is not the font problem, but rather X11 configuration problem.

Check, if XIMIAN installation procedure backed up Your ols XF86Config file, and
try to rename it back.

If not:

Du You have the dir: /usr/lib/X11/fonts ?
If yes,  does one of subdirs contain fontfile named fixed.pcf.gz ?
OR one of the files fonts.alias in subdir has the entry like:
fixed        -misc-fixed-medium-r-semicondensed--13-120-75-75-c-60-iso8859-1
?

If yes, has the XF86Config file, Your X11 uses, contain fontpath entries for the
subdirs, whede fixed font is? (Some of the fontpathes are default compiled in XFree86,
check X11 docu which)

Alternatively, you can try to start X11 mith command parameter  for fixed font.
Check X11 docu.

regards.

Valentin Heinitz
http://www.heinitz-it.de