Hi all,

I have a problem with displaying chinese characters. I use the fontfile
gb16fs.pcf.gz.
When I start my program it takes some seconds (about 15) till I see the
chinese characters. During these 15 seconds the XFree86 takes over 90%
cpu-time. My question is, what does XFree86 do and how can I reduce this
time?

I analysed it with strace and tcpdump. The xserver opens the fontfile,
reads and closes the file. Then there are only signals (SIGALRM) in the
strace output and no system calls for the next (15) seconds. In the
output of tcpdump you can see, that my program send a OpenFont,
QueryFont and gets the answer after this long time.

My test system:
XFree86 4.1.0.1
/proc/cpuinfo:
Processor       : XScale-PXA255 rev 6 (v5l)
BogoMIPS        : 397.31
Features        : swp half thumb fastmult edsp
CPU implementor : 0x69
CPU architecture: 5TE
CPU variant     : 0x0
CPU part        : 0x2d0