Jeremias Maerki wrote:
There's a lot of AND-ing of hash codes to determine the segments and
buckets and that's much easier to handle if you have a power of 2 and
can shift bits around.

On 22.08.2008 16:22:05 Peter B. West wrote:
Jeremias Maerki wrote:
Ok, here's the final patch I'd propose to fix the memory leak. I've seen
no measurable performance degradation compared to the base revision and
no multi-threading problems. The memory leak is fixed and the number of
stale references remains low.

Feedback welcome.

What happens is SEGMENT_COUNT is not a power of 2? Or, what obliges SEGMENT_COUNT to be a power of 2?

Peter

That was my assumption when I saw 'MASK', in which case is it not safer to ensure that your value is in fact all ones?

MASK_BIT_COUNT = 5
SEGMENT_COUNT = 1<<MASK_BIT_COUNT

or some such.