Hello,

I'm not specifically aware of other external explicit requests for this
upgrade of the PDFBox version used in FOP.  For comparison, there were past
JIRA tickets to upgrade FOP to use various versions of PDFBox version
2.0.*, including https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FOP-2562 for the
upgrade from PDFBox major version 1 to 2.

>From a client standpoint on my part utilizing the PDFBox and FOP projects,
it seems rather desirable to co-opt the modern versions, features, and
paradigms of both projects in the dependency pipeline.

>From a development standpoint with these Apache SF projects, I could
maintain private/downstream forks of these repositories that synchronize
the FOP code to the latest PDFBox code, but it could be more cumbersome to
update over time due to further divergence upstream.  For this reason I
reckoned it mutually beneficial to volunteer my changes for this upgrade,
for community development to build on that synchronization with the latest
versions of both projects.

However, if there is a superseding project priority to maintain
compatibility with existing client uses of FOP that specifically depend on
the legacy PDFBox major version 2, and if the decision grounds of when to
implement an inter-dependency upgrade to the contrary are more nuanced than
the factor of expeditiousness, then I do understand if my changes won't be
(or are not currently) admissible for the Apache SF projects.

Based on these points, I appreciate your feedback and decision on whether
or not my proposed upgrade is plausible for inclusion at this juncture.

Sincerely,
Mark E.