Hi Glenn,

Below is an explanation sent on behalf of my colleague Gavin who's just joined this list. He's mostly citing from Bob's fine book. :-)

Apparently, this seems to answer the question I raised, albeit not in a way that I'd have preferred. :-\

If you're aware of anything different let me know; thanks much!

Cheers,

Stefan

Quote from DocBookXSL: The Complete Guide 4th edition by Bob Stayton:

--- begin---

A "continued" label for long tables is not a standard feature of XSL-FO 1.0. It is supported in XSL-FO 1.1 using the retrieve-table-marker property. Since version 1.1 became a standard only in December 2006, support for its features is gradually being added to XSL-FO processors. You might check your XSL-FO processor documentation to see if that property is supported. If so, then a different customization is needed than the one described here. The DocBook XSL stylesheets will output 1.1 features when more processors support them.

However, if you are using the XEP processor from RenderX, then you can use an extension long provided by that processor. The extension is in the form of an attribute rx:table-omit-initial-header="true" that is applied to a layout table that wraps around the table content, but is inside the fo:block that contains the table title too.

This strangely-named attribute's function is to prevent a table header row from appearing on the first page of a table, and allowing it to appear on any subsequent pages if the table is long enough to break across a page boundary. You do not use it on the table's column headings, but rather on a special table header that repeats the table title along with the "continued" label. By omitting it on the first page of the table, you get the behavior you want.

The additional table header is not in the original fo:table, but in a wrapper table around it. The wrapper table has one column, the width of the entire table, one header cell for the continued title, and one body cell to contain the original fo:table. When such a table breaks across the page, the new page will display the continued title, a repeat of the original table column headings, and then continue the table rows.

My understanding is that FOP 1.0 does not support the use of the retrieve-table-marker property with tables, and is unlikely to do so in the near future. See http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/compliance.html, which implies that the property will likely not be supported in 1.1(?). A modified table header isn't an ideal solution - I'd prefer to insert a modified table title as in the XEP rx:table-omit-initial-header extension - but it would be better than nothing.