Hi,

in XSL-FO REC2 Working Draft, I see no change regarding footnotes (see [1]).
AFAIK, there is no plan to implement such extension in FOP, but since
it is open source, everybody can contribute and submit a patch (see
[2]) to add such extension.

That said, there is probably an alternative: modifying directly the
intermediate format (see [3]).

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/2012/WD-xslfo20-20120117/#d2e24437
[2] http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/dev/index.html#patches
[3] http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/1.0/intermediate.html