personally, i've never tried using the AWT output format, so can't say what
it's state is at the moment; i would suggest you try the PDF output format
for the time being, i.e., use '-pdf' instead of '-awt'. You can file a bug
on the AWT problem at [1]

[1] https://issues.apache.org/bugzilla/enter_bug.cgi?product=Fop

make sure to include information on your execution environment and full
console output from the command invocation