Hi Rob,

On 14/08/12 15:42, Rob Sargent wrote:
> Do we at least agree that there is a problem?

Maybe not.

Short version: on the region-bodies that are meant to be empty (the
region-body elements from page masters ‘gallery6-page-[3-8]’ in the
latest document you attached), set the column-count to 1. Also, make
sure that no more than 5 such page masters ever consecutively follow
each other.

Long story: when FOP cannot fit any content on a page, it skips it and
moves on to the next page, hoping that that next page will be big enough
to accommodate some content.

If the next page cannot accommodate any content either, then FOP skips it
too and moves on to the next page, and so on, until it finds a suitable
page, /or/ it has skipped pages more than 5 times in a row.

The latter condition is to avoid entering an infinite loop, where FOP
would hopelessly look for a page that can accommodate content while all
the remaining pages of the page sequence actually have zero height.

If your pages have multiple columns, then take the text above and
substitute page with column.

This is the case of your sample document, where FOP gives up at the
second column of gallery6-page5. Which means that you cannot put more
than 2 such pages consecutively in your document.

Since the gallery pages are not meant to have a body, it doesn’t matter
whether you specify a column-count of 1 or 2. Setting it to 1 will allow
you to put up to 5 such pages in a row.

If this is still not enough, then you can change the
MAX_RECOVERY_ATTEMPTS constant in
src/java/org/apache/fop/layoutmgr/BreakingAlgorithm.java to whatever
suits your needs. Note that this constant is also used for line
breaking, so you may want to keep it reasonably low in order to reduce
the impact on performance. Something as small as 10 might be more than
enough for your needs.

In theory, you could avoid all that fiddling by giving a special
region-name to the gallery page-masters’ region-bodies, but some quick
experiments gave strange results on my side. I would have to investigate
a bit more to find out what’s happening exactly.

FOP could also be a little better at detecting a possible infinite loop,
by analysing the page sequence and finding out whether there will ever
be a suitable page, or if for example that page-sequence will always
produce an alternation of the two same non-suitable pages. But that’s
another story...

HTH,
Vincent