For FOP 1.0, you need Java 1.4 or newer. For FOP 1.1RC1 and the upcoming
1.1 (as well as current nightly builds), you need Java 1.5 or newer.

FOP provides a built-in mechanism to perform XML to XSL-FO translation
using a supplied XSLT file. See the documentation at [1].

You don't provide enough details to determine what problem you're having on
your linux server. What version of FOP? What is your input XML/XSLT files?
What command line options did you use? What is console output?

[1] http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/quickstartguide.html