Now, now, Paul: TeX is wonderful. In fact, by preference, I use XSL only to generate files that can be processed by TeX. The design limitations in XSL-FO are incompatible with serious typography.

Which do you think are those design limitations? I see only two:
* no justify value for the display-align property (but Fop has the
  potential to implement it as an extension, if it doesn't already);
* before-float which are not very useful: they would typically be used
  for figures, which thus wouldn't be allowed to appear in the middle of
  a page (although it might be possible to use side-floats as a
  workaround).

That said, if I'm correct Fop already is capable of optimizing page
breaks, by considering page sequences as a whole (like paragraphs for
line-breaking). A thing that TeX will never be able to do.

I may have missed other serious limitations, however.

Vincent