As far as I know, zero-width spaces are widely used with 0.20.5. The
next FOP release will also support zero-width spaces (0.91beta doesn't).

That said, I think you should have a look at the XSL-FO files you
generate from your properties files. You can then backtrack from there
to find out why the zero-width spaces don't work, or rather why not the
right characters are generated/used. The problem is either the character
used by your translators or by your converter.

Good luck.