The layout engine tests takes the CPU to 100% for some time. If you
experience crashes during that then you have a hardware overheating
problem. Java doesn't usually crash the whole computer. And on Windows
you'll at least get a blue screen before rebooting if some software
severly misbehaves. So if you don't get that blue screen, you definitely
have a hardware problem.