Not sure that playing with the page-masters will really help. I don't
think they have an influence here.

I've just committed a helper XSLT [1] which can split Luis' FO file at
page-sequence boundaries. It reveals that one of the page-sequences
alone makes up 18MB out of the 23MB of the full FO file. I guess that is
what FOP chokes on: Just too much data in one page-sequence and FOP
currently cannot free any objects while inside a page-sequence.

[1] http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?rev=430134&view=rev

I'd try to find way to further split up that large page-sequence. This
should enable FOP to free memory and handle this file with less heap
space.