On Jul 11, 2007, at 16:47, Matthias Müller wrote:

since i use fop 0.20.5 i am forced to use a svg object (to generate an 90° rotated text in my pdf output). i do this via the <fo:instream-foreign-object> statement. but the size of the pdf file is ~12x bigger than without the svg object.

Probably because the SVG is inserted into the PDF as a rasterized graphic... but that's a long shot.

is there any alternative. i don't want to use gif's if possible.

Of course you don't want to use GIFs. Who does? :-)

Alternatives? If at all possible, I would consider upgrading to 0.93, which eliminates the need to use SVG as you can simply use a fo:block- container with reference-orientation of 90.

Cheers

Andreas