I have an XML document which contains information that points to many images,
and I'm trying to display them using the fo:external-graphic method.  When
only a few images are present it works fine.  However, when many images are
present (enough that they span multiple pages) then images appear to be
"lost," which means they are simply not printed in the PDF.  When I use the
following code, the images appear staggered, and there is a lot of white
space, however, all the images are printed correctly.

<fo:table-cell padding="3mm">
    <xsl:apply-templates select="at...@tag='0040A730']/item" mode="content">
        <xsl:with-param name="pattern">Image</xsl:with-param>
    </xsl:apply-templates>
</fo:table-cell>

<xsl:template match="item" mode="content">
    <xsl:param name="pattern"/>
    <xsl:if test="$pattern='Image'">
        <fo:external-graphic width="8cm">
            <xsl:attribute
name="src">url(https://localhost:8443/wado?requestType=WADO&amp;studyUID=1&amp;seriesUID=1&amp;objectUID=<xsl:value-of
select="at...@tag='00081199']/item/at...@tag='00081155']"/>)</xsl:attribute>
        </fo:external-graphic>
    </xsl:if>
</xsl:template>

The first part of the code is wrapped inside of a fo:table.  However, if I
replace the first part with the following

<fo:table-cell padding="3mm">
    <fo:block>
        <xsl:apply-templates select="at...@tag='0040A730']/item"
mode="content">
            <xsl:with-param name="pattern">Image</xsl:with-param>
        </xsl:apply-templates>
    <'fo:block>
</fo:table-cell>

Then the images look much better on the page (no white space), but some
images are just missing.

I'm pretty new to XSL:FO, but I've been trying to figure this one out for a
while, and would greatly appreciate any input.  I'm using version 0.20.5,
and am locked into that version.