The addition of Complex Script support in FOP 1.1 is the cause. The font
actually controls whether ligatures are used or not.

The following features are enabled by default for all scripts which do not
otherwise override this feature set:

GSUB: {ccmp, liga, locl}
GPOS: {kern, mark, mkmk}

See org.apache.fop.complexscripts.scripts.DefaultScriptProcessor.

If you read the description of these features [1], you will find that they
are defined as "should be active by default".

[1] http://www.microsoft.com/typography/otspec/featurelist.htm

So, if a font designer includes a 'liga' table in the font, then those
substitutions will apply. As Pascal has pointed out, you can disable CS
entirely, in which case none of the GSUB or GPOS processing is performed.
Another work around would be to use something like:

<fo:character character="f"/><fo:character character="i"/>

which happens to work at the moment due to a bug that prevents performing
GSUB processing across an element boundary, but that may be fixed at some
point.

A better long term solution is to introduce the CSS3 Font Module's
font-variant-ligatures property [2], or, more generally, the
font-feature-settings property [3] as "fox:" extension attributes.

[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-fonts/#font-variant-ligatures-prop
[3] http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-fonts/#font-feature-settings-prop

Regards,
Glenn