Alex,

> > Now I would like to unpack the executable to carry on with the
> > analysis. From what I could understand this would only be possible
> > by running it in a test win32 system, probably using a dissasembly
> > tool, since it only "unpacks" itself when being executed. Is that
> > correct? Would there be some other way of doing so, perhaps using
> > some sort of decompression tool? I was not able to find any so far.

you could be using PEiD (http://peid.has.it/) to exactly tell you which
compression tool had been used, then find the corresponding
decompression tool at http://www.exetools.com/unpackers.htm, then
run "strings" and other tools on the decompressed file again.

Chapter 15 of "Real Digital Forensics" contains a really
nice description of how to analyze unknown files. And no,
I'm not affiliated with the authors...   :-)

Cheers,

        Stefan.

Stefan Kelm
Security Consultant

Secorvo Security Consulting GmbH
Ettlinger Strasse 12-14, D-76137 Karlsruhe

Tel. +49 721 255171-304, Fax +49 721 255171-100
[EMAIL PROTECTED], http://www.secorvo.de/
PGP Fingerprint 87AE E858 CCBC C3A2 E633 D139 B0D9 212B