*** From [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Miroslaw J. Wiechowski)

Otrzymane od X. W. Wrobla.
mjw

> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: Re "Polish Joke", - Letter by David Ives to Consul in L.A.
> Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 18:49:44 -0700

Dear Chris,

One of the people on our mailing list contacted the European
American Issues Forum (EAIF) located in San Bruno in Northern
California re the offensive "Polish Joke" issue. A man named Lou
Calabro, from EAIF, telephoned me with the intention of being
helpful. Prior to calling me, he spoke with Gordon Edelstein,
Artistic Director at ACT. Edelstein told him that David Ives is a
Polish-American. Lou was not at all convinced, and his primary
reason to call me was to find out whether I am sure DAvid Ives is
Jewish. He felt that most people around Ives are Jewish and that
the play is a deliberate affront to the Poles. I said that I can
not be 100% sure, but the name David Ives indicates that he is
Jewish. I also said that in the scheme of this matter it is not
of prime importance whether David Ives is Jewish or not. He then
told me that he has DAvid Ives' response letter to the Polish
Consul General in Los Angeles explaining himself and defending
his play. He faxed the letter to me. I must add, that this is the
first time ever, that I know of, that the L.A. Consulate wrote an
objection to slander. Please note that D. Ives admits that he
knows "the cruelty, and the idiocy, of Polish jokes", yet he
titles his play with these offensive words. Here is Ives' letter,
please comment:

"Mr. Krzysztof W. Kasprzyk
Consul General
Consulate General of the Republic of Poland in Los Angeles,
Fax:  310-442-8515

Dear Mr. Kasprzyk,

I am the author of the play "Polish Joke" and I was dismayed to
read theletter your directed to ACT, which is presenting the play
in Seattle.

I gather from your letter that you have not seen or read "Polish
Joke" and believe that somehow you've been misinformed about the
play's nature and point. I had not intention of insulting or
denigrating Poland, the Polish people, or Polish-Americans -
indeed, quite the opposite, as the Polish-Americans who've
already seen and enjoyed the show would tell you. This play is a
comedy directed at the ignorance behind prejudice; it was not
meant to add to prejudice. In fact, no one who's seen the show --
Polish, Polish-American or otherwise -- has protested it as
racist or biased in any way.

I'm well positioned to speak against the insidiousness of
anti-Polish prejudice because I am myself a second-generation
Polish-American. I was born David Roszkowski in Chicago, at a
time when Chicago was the second largest Polish city in the world
outside of Warsaw. My parents spoke Polish at home and our family
followed all the Polish cultural customs, from our foods
(homemade kielbasa, pierogi, czarnina, and golubki) to
celebrating our holidays at the local Catholic parish. At
Christmas we broke oplatki -- and still do to this day. I drew on
that upbringing in writing the play and portrayed, with
affection, the life I knew among the steel mills where my father
and uncles worked. I am indeed familiar with the artists and
Polish figures you mention -- Milosz * is a great favorite of
mine, both for his extraordinary poetry and his muscular prose.
Most important: no one can know like a Pole -- and I speak to you
as a fellow Pole -- the cruelty, and the idiocity, of Polish
jokes. But one must explode such cliche's with well-placed
dynamite. My dynamite happens to be comedy. Without any
reservation, I invite you to come to Seattle and see the play for
yourself. I don't doubt you'll find yourself championing rather
that condemning it and hope that, given your position, you'll
help to dispel mistaken perceptions about the piece. I'm
delighted to know that the Polish Consul General is vigilant in
the battle against prejudice but in this case your were speaking
out against the wrong side. Look around and you'll find me
standing next to you on the front lines: I just carry a different
weapon.

Sincerely,
David Ives"

* His "Campo di Fiori" has been hurled at us as an example of
Polish antiSemitism. When he came to Los Angeles several years
ago, he spoke at the Jewish Federation. He entered the packed
hall, his head lowered in apology and sadness for all the wrongs
that Poles did to the Jews. He informed that he had a Jewish
uncle. In spite of his "kissing up" to the Jewish audience, his
speech was repeatedly interrupted by either the mike dying or
calls on the loud-speaker from the parking garage about car
lights being left on or the like. I attended other talks at the
Federation on several occasions, none were ever interrupted.

Regards,
Dana

Lista 'Forum Zagraniczne'          Administrator: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Archiwum: http://www.mail-archive.com/forum.zagraniczne@3w3.net

Odpowiedź listem elektroniczym