*** From [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Tomasz Iwanowski)

This is being sent on behalf of [EMAIL PROTECTED]
as part of the mailing list that you joined.
List: ICDSM

International Committee to Defend Slobodan Milosevic www.icdsm.org

The URL for this article is: http://www.icdsm.org/more/liberte.htm

Subscribe to the ICDSM email list at http://www.icdsm.org/maillist.htm
Receive articles posted at www.icdsm.org

=======================================
The next scheduled 'witnesses' at The Hague are from the staff of the
Kosovo Verification Mission of 1998-99. In 1999, a Swiss newspaper
revealed: HOW KOSOVO VERIFICATION MISSION WAS USED FOR NATO SPYING

>From the Swiss journal La Libert., 22 April 1999
Translated by Balkans Info
[Posted 19 march 2002]
=======================================

Note, this week the NATO court at The Hague is scheduled to bring
leaders of the Kosovo Verification Mission as 'witnesses' against
Milosevic.
In fact, the true story of the Mission bears witness of its use to
prepare for the NATO attack on Yugoslavia. For more, see further
reading.
-- ICDSM

NATO SPIES CONFESS
La Libert., 22 April 1999

It was done ultimately in the hope of bringing peace. October 12, 1998,

the Serbia of Slobodan Milosevic accepted the introduction into Kosovo
of 2,000 observers from the OSCE (the Organization for Security and
Cooperation in Europe). This "verification mission" was to monitor the
cease fire between the Serbs and the Albanians and to facilitate the
search for a political solution to the conflict. Once finally in place,
the
1,400 observers, among whom were a certain number of Swiss nationals,
were placed under the direction of American ambassador William Walker.
They remained in place until NATO decided to begin its bombing the
following March.

Today the work of this mission poses some serious questions, if one
believes the information collected by the Tessian (Swiss) daily
Giornale
del popolo that follows:

"It was obviously not Wm Walker who pulled the strings on this
operation," said one of the 1,400 verification monitors who wished to
remain
anonymous. "Nor was it the European diplomats who headed the different
departments. It was 'The Fusion', a section in the headquarters of the
OSCE in Pristina. It was under the direction of British general John
Drewienkiewicz, one of the vice directors of the mission. Officially,
he
was in charge of co-ordinating security. In reality, no one knew with
any
certainty what his responsibilities were. (. . .) Little by little we
came to understand that this was a center for the co-ordination of
information going into the hands of American and British military
personnel."

What kind of information are we talking about here?

"All kinds," went on our monitor-witness. "Beginning with the movements

and positions of Yugoslav army troops, which means the army or the
paramilitary groups. (. . .)"

This information then went to NATO?

"Certainly. If not, how would they have known the Serbs' objectives
with such precision?"

It is also the opinion of Pascal Neuffer, the 32 yr. old Tessian
(Swiss) geologist who was part of the Swiss contingent of the OSCE
mission
during its last month.

"We understood from the beginning that the information collected by the

OSCE patrols during our mission was intended to supplement the
information NATO collected by satellite. We had a very strong feeling
that we
were working as spies for the Atlantic Alliance."

The OSCE was supposed to look into human rights violations committed by

either party, the Yugoslav soldiers or the Serb paramilitaries, and the

KLA rebels. But the verifiers noticed that when the collected testimony

did not correspond with the general view ( and certainly not the
official view!) of the mission, it was often manipulated.

Pascal Neuffer again: "The information was selected and processed by
The Fusion. When the reports were not sufficiently critical of the
actions of the Serb troops, they were amended, or even shredded.

"The investigators who wrote up reports that were too critical of the
KLA," confirms another monitor, "were mysteriously not assigned to new
missions.

"Just before they were evacuated, the Verification Monitors received an

order to destroy all written documents. In executing this task, a
member of the Italian contingent who had just been relieved of his
investigation into human rights violations, happened upon one of his
reports
denouncing the KLA. But there was a second report attached to his, and
edited by his Albanian interpreter who was working under contract to
the
OSCE. This second report accused the Italian of falsifying the
testimony
he had collected and of being pro-Serb! On the basis of this second
report, all the testimony the Italian Monitor had amassed was
discarded,
without any investigation or additional research.

"The strange thing was," continues our witness, "the Albanian
interpreter's report was addressed to The Fusion and not, as would have
been the
normal practice, to the Human Rights Section. From this he concluded
that the interpreter was in the pay of The Fusion. . . . Unfortunately
all these documents were destroyed. But I know for certain that this
was
not an isolated case."

AN ANTI-SERB PSYCHOSIS

Welcomed by the directors of the mission on their arrival in Kosovo,
the Verification Monitors were surprised by the dominant point of view
that the enemy was uniquely the Yugoslavs and the Serbs. "During the
four
days of training we received on arrival, those in charge of security,
almost all Americans, tried subtly to instil an anti-Serb psychosis. No

one took into consideration that the KLA might be shooting at us. Even
though this had already happened."

A feeling shared by the Swiss Pascal Neuffer. "The bias of the OSCE was

more than obvious. Collaboration with the Serbian police, however
legitimate, in certain investigations was taken for collaboration with
the
enemy. And then it was forbidden. The Germans from the Police section,
under the direct control of The Fusion, told me that their suggestion
for how to deal with these collaborations was just to systematically
block them."

Neuffer also points out a revealing detail. "Certain Verification
Monitors in charge of human rights violations took part in funerals for
KLA
soldiers, but if the Serb police were ambushed we wouldn't even mention

it. Obviously, only the deaths of Albanian rebels was considered a
human rights violation. All dead bodies found in Kosovo were
automatically
assigned to be victims of Serbian police aggression.

"The situation on the ground, on the eve of the NATO bombing, did not
justify a military intervention," declared Pascal Neuffer. "In many
regions of Kosovo, you didn't feel a climate of war. All the incidents,
all
the battles between Serb forces and Albanian rebels, with the displaced

populations that ensued, were limited to mountain villages near the
strongholds of the KLA: at the beginning of the year, in Kacanik, in
the
South, and then in Podujevo. In the important towns like Mitrovica,
Pec,
Pristina or Orahovac, there weren't any deportations. Certainly Kosovo
suffered an apartheid and an 'ethnic cleansing'. But before the bombing

it was still limited. Many of us were shocked when we got the order to
evacuate: we would certainly have been able to continue our work. And
the explanations given in the Press, saying that the mission had been
compromised by Serb threats, did not correspond to what I had seen.
Let's
say rather that we were evacuated because NATO had decided to!
 start bombing.

"It's a pity, because the OSCE could have played a more important part.

In light of what has happened, we started asking ourselves if we had
ever been intended as a peace mission or only as a pretext to a
military
intervention."

The accusations against the OSCE mission unfortunately were not limited

to a few cases of espionage or to the manipulation of testimony. Some
were much more serious. The OSCE was not only used (however
unwittingly)
to lay blame for human rights violations exclusively at the feet of the

Serbs, or nearly so. It might also have played an indirect role in the
reduction of tensions that then exploded with the military intervention

of NATO.

A DRAMATIC EPISODE

A dramatic event took place to support this theory. (. . .) The
commander of the regular Serb troops, apparently on his own initiative,
warned
the OSCE mission of the fact that the Serb police were aware of an
Albanian rebel project to transport arms from Albania into Kosovo. And
he
asked that 'the other camp' be warned so as to avoid a blood bath. The
information was discussed at the very heart of the Security Council of
the mission, which decided not to transmit the message to the KLA. The
result: A few kilometres from the Albanian border, more than 30 Kosovo
Albanians were killed by Serb forces. (This encounter took place on the

14th of December 1998, and was reported in the international press.) (.

. .)

This was the most serious incident since the conclusion in mid-October
of accords between Milosevic and the international community to
institute a cease fire and to set up international monitoring in the
province.

>From the other side, it also seems that moderates from the KLA tried to

communicate with the Serbs, through the offices of the OSCE, certain
information about projected attacks against Serbs. All for naught. You
have to ask yourself if there weren't some people who just didn't want
the tensions relieved."

Sarah d'Adda, Giornale del Popolo, repris par La Libert., 22 avril
1999.

Subscribe to the ICDSM email list at http://www.icdsm.org/maillist.htm
Receive a few articles a week.

Click here to send the link to this article to a friend.

Further Reading:

* 'The Cat is Out of the Bag,' including article on the Verification
Mission from London Times, entitled 'CIA aided Kosovo guerrilla army,'
can be read at
http://emperors-clothes.com/news/ciaaided.htm

==============================
The Defense of Milosevic - and the Truth - Needs Your Help!
==============================

NATO has billions of dollars and the media to spread lies. We have the
truth, supported by hundreds of millions of people. To develop legal,
educational, parliamentary and other work, our Committee needs
donations, large or small, from those who want to get the truth to the
people.

Here is how you can help:

* Contribute via credit card by calling our Dutch or U.S. offices:

Dutch office: 31 20 6151122
US office: 1 617 916-1705

* Donate over the internet via PayPal  at:
https://www.paypal.com/xclick/business=icdsm%40aol.com
PayPal accepts VISA and MasterCard

* Or mail a check to: ICDSM
831 Beacon St., #295