I think the problem is a bit more acute in windows because of easier access
to malwares although it can't be underestimated in linux.

On Jan 18, 2008 12:03 PM, Bipin Gautam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>  in windows too Pidgin stores the plain text password in
> %userprofile%\../.purple/   folder in plain text with all email of
> your conacts and when uninstalled doesnt clear the folder and password
> file.
>
> IM contacts stored locally can be used by mailware to SPAM is a long known
> issue
>
> but as the password is stored under your home directory the FS
> permission should take cair of security, though in corporate
> environment this might be a little problem. other apps that has option
> to store password also store passowrd in encoded form anyways.

There are some other applications but I really believe that pidgin should at
least have some option for people to choose. I was taken a bit by surprise
that they do so for windows environment too.

> in windows you could use the default encrypted file system feature and
> transperently encrypt the folder same goes with *nix system....
> encrypt your home directory.

AFAIK, NTFS's encryption system is pretty good but a general user barely
uses that and it can be a rather serious flaw when it comes down to the
average joe's computer full of games and spams and stuff... it can be
enticing target to some malware makers.

> better option is to remember your IM password instead of storing it as
> it could float around in unallocated space of your hdd even long after
> deleted!

Oh yeah. It has been long known that some applications do save some stuff in
registry and in that respect pidgin does a better job when you uninstall it,
at least you don't have the fear of easy access from registry... although
you can still access a deleted file from an unencrypted drive (if you know
where to look for :) not too sure people would bother to do that.