On 3/22/2012 9:00 PM, Steven Walling wrote:
On Mar 22, 2012 8:46 PM, "Cynthia Ashley-Nelson"<cindam...@gmail.com>
wrote:
In Twinkle, we can add a custom Welcome message. Is it possible to create a
customized Welcome template that allows the user to insert a personalized
message to the Twinkle interface? Or even make changes to the existing
templates that allows users to insert a personal message prior to placing
on the user's talk page?
Yes, this not difficult at all to add to Twinkle, and if the maintainers of
the gadget are willing I think this should be one of the experiments we
try. The idea of prompting normal handwritten comments as part of the
interface was also suggested in the feedback from our recent test of PROD
and AfD templates in Twinkle.
Wow, handwritten? I didn't know MediaWiki was going to skip straight past WYSIWYG to OCR. Is it time to start weeding out editors with bad penmanship?

More seriously, while a wiki may not be a social network for its own sake, I do think it's worth emphasizing that collaboration depends on some sort of human connection. Bots can be great tools to facilitate work, but they do nothing to facilitate connections.

--Michael Snow