Hi Karen,

Le mardi 26 novembre 2013, à 00:47 -0500, Karen Sandler a écrit :
> As a lawyer I want to point out that the main thing about our trademark is
> to make sure that users (under the law: consumers) aren't confused about
> what comes from GNOME and what doesn't. This is extremely helpful when you
> have real jerks who try to distribute software that isn't GNOME or free
> software but use our name and logo to fool people into downloading it.I
> have seen some really bizarre uses of our logo and to my knowledge we have
> only enforced when we think the use is confusing. As was also pointed out
> by someone else, we've had many friendly discussions that have resulted in
> better uses of the marks for all.

Do you have some concrete examples of confusing/misleading uses of our
logo where we had to enforce our trademark?

It's been obviously quite some time, but from my years in the board, I
only remember misuses that were actually not in the software field, and
I wonder if things are the same or if it got worse.

Also, how do we define the right balance? In the Ubuntu GNOME example, I
would consider the project to be both part of the Ubuntu and GNOME
communities, so imho, it should be entitled to use our trademark.

Cheers,

Vincent

--
Les gens heureux ne sont pas pressés.