On Fri, May 26, 2017 at 02:36:03PM +0200, Ekaterina Gerasimova wrote:
> >  Is it really useful to go through with the election process when the
> > outcome is already known beforehand?
>
> The outcome is not known yet: it is possible for there to be anywhere
> up to 7 candidates who get in because we use the single transferable
> vote system.
>
> For the system to work correctly, it relies on people voting only for
> the candidates that they want on the board (which is not necessarily
> all 7 candidates) in their order of preference. This means that if one
> only wants 5/7 candidates to be on the board, then one should only
> vote for 5 people, not for 7 people. As there is a minimum number of
> votes that each candidate has to get before they make it onto the
> board, this could mean that some candidates do not reach than
> threshold.
>
> Here is an example of how the vote counting works:
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single_transferable_vote#Example

And what would happen if less than 7 candidates are elected? Would the
board be composed of only 6 or 5 people for the year to come? Or would
there be a new election period where more candidates can apply, with a
second vote?

Voting this year is a bit bureaucratic… Maybe a lot of people will not
take the time to vote. Is there a minimum percentage of vote
participation required? If yes, it would be good to remind the
Foundation members about that.

--
Sébastien