On Sun, Apr 15, 2018 at 7:40 AM Benjamin Berg <benja...@sipsolutions.net>
wrote:

> Dear Board,
>
> Codes of Conduct (CoC) and especially the policies surrounding them are
> a very political issue (which easily becomes emotional). Unfortunately,
> in my view, the CoC Working Group (WG) was unable to set these politics
> aside enough to create a proposal that finds a balance in the wide
> spectrum of different viewpoints, legal consequences, required
> resources, rights, freedoms and the ability to deal with issues when
> they occur.
>
> I would have very much preferred if the WG had succeeded in this task.
> Unfortunately, it seems like it was too political and too biased
> (considering the political and regional spectrum that was represented)
> for the whole time. That compounded to inter-personal issues that could
> never be resolved as neither the session chair nor other members (or
> the ED for that matter) were able to create an environment where these
> issues could have been sufficiently addressed and a viable way to work
> together been developed. On top of this, it has recently come to my
> attention that members of the WG who are also on the Foundation Board
> have decided to continue working outside of the scope of the WG,
> thereby silently excluding me from the proceedings.
>
> At the current point in time, I believe that the proposal below is the
> best way forward. The idea to address it in a WG was good, but it turns
> out it was too political to be an adequate forum. This proposal however
> creates a forum that can legitimately resolve this political issue for
> years to come.
>
> I would like the board to adopt the proposal for a referendum below and
> I am happy to work on revising it. Failing to do so, I am intending to
> ask for support from foundation members to enforce this to be a
> referendum as per the bylaws.
>
> Should you have an alternative proposal on how to move forward, I am
> happy to hear about it.
>
> Regards,
> Benjamin
>
> -----
>
> DRAFT: Event CoC and Policy Referendum
>
> Timeline (in weeks before vote):
>  * Announce referendum (13w)
>  * Proposal writing phase (6 weeks overall)
>  * Deadline for initial proposals (7w)
>  * Discussion phase (6 weeks overall)
>  * Last updates to proposals based on feedback (1w)
>  * Vote
>
> Proposals should generally include a main CoC document and important
> pieces of the policy. If a proposal e.g. requires creating a Committee
> then it may define policy parts that are intended to be created or
> proposed by this body after adoption and are therefore not part of the
> proposal.
>
> Proposals should include elaborations and take into consideration the
> impact that policies have on affected parties (e.g. GUADEC or hackfest
> organisers, the Foundation Board).
>
> Proposals should be endorsed by 3 foundation members to be considered,
> [...]

Hi Benjamin,

Your email references vaguely some recent events. Reading between the
lines, something must have happened in the WG to make the situation
untenable for you, but I have no idea what. According to [1], the WG's
mailing list is private, and there are only public minutes up until
February 2017, so I'm assuming that these events are not documented
anywhere that I can read.

I encourage you to continue to discuss your concerns with the board
privately. With this little context, it sounds like public action runs a
risk of making things even more "political," since you are effectively
asking the subscribers of foundation-list to form their opinions without
knowing what is going on. That will likely lead to assumptions, projection,
and more misunderstandings.

[1] https://wiki.gnome.org/Diversity/CoCWorkingGroup

Regards,
Philip C