I did discover a way around the 5 step process of calling up an historical
trend that might be enlightening to someone, I'm not sure.  I configured
buttons with the DM command "trend" on my existing trends.  Trend lets you
draw a trend with many different attributes.  The full command is:

trend [-g trendname] [-trdid n]
[-line # [-name c:b.p] [-descr "dd"] [-range r]
[-hist histname] [-gband g] [-minsp m]
[-name0 0] [-name1 1] [-delta d] [-eng e]
[-lcolor lc] [-marker m] [-dtype d]] [-scan "s u" | -dur "s u"]
[-start time | -stop time | -display "du su"]
[-banded | -merged] [-temp | -perm]
[-gcolor gc] [-bgcolor bc]
[-tstamp t] [-gvis gv] [-offnorm h,l]
[-offnrmcolor oc] [-numgrid nli] [-nummkrs nm]][-resol "t u"]

Which covers just about everything you can do with a trend.  See B0193DF for
full details on this command.

We use mostly generic, re-useable trends, that get called up by clicking on
an AIN or PIDA value, which in turn passes the COMPOUND:BLOCK as DM shared
variables, such as $P3 and $P4.  The dmcmd trend command can also use these
shared variables in the -name switch to draw a new trend line.  So now when
the console guys call up our standard 1-hr trend, they have 4 buttons on the
bottom which can change the trend to 2, 4, 6, or 12 hour with one click.
Thanks, Foxboro, for getting me to look into this!  Now it's much easier.
Of course, if the console guys want more choices than that, they have to go
through the whole 5 step procedure, or get me to make more buttons.

Some of our guys know about the left-click "Calendar" type interface, but
few use it because it is even more cumbersome than the existing 5 step
system.  First of all, you have to Pause the trend to even get the
"Calendar", and it's kind of a mystery exactly where to click.  This new
"button" system is nice because you can get a longer trend immediately, and
the buttons are very self-explanatory.

If anybody wants to see what I did, I'll post some files on Cassandra.  I'm
not sure if dmcmd trend even works on DM though.

Tim