Hi list,

I appreciate Ted Jirik's concern about possible misuse of highly technical
information that is freely exchanged on this list. After all, we operate on
the basis that each one of us is who we say we are (or imply that we are).

Identifying the subscribers is made much easier on this list since most
(>90%) of you subscribed to the list using your company-supplied e-mail
address. Barring the possibility of somebody posting to the list with a
forged From: address, it's fairly easy to decipher for whom the subscriber
works.

The problem arises when some subscribers, for any number of reasons, use the
freely available webmail addresses (yahoo.com, hotmail.com, bigfoot.com,
etc.) that effectively mask the real identity of the subscribers. Included
in this category are those using regular ISPs (eg. aol.com) or home
addresses. My personal e-mail, for example, is [EMAIL PROTECTED] which is my
own virtual domain. This is easily deduced using whois data, but others are
not so easily pinpointed.

To allay this security concern, I strongly recommend that every poster
include some identification data at the end of your posting so others have
some knowledge of you and your company, especially if your e-mail address is
not a company-provided one. This is, after all, basic etiquette for
participating in a mailing list.

As a list, we can tacitly enforce this by not responding to postings that
lack this identifying information.

Administratively, I'll try to do some off-line vetting with new subscribers
also.

Please let me know if you have any concern about this or any other issue.

Regards,

Duc M. Do
list-mom

--