On 11 Mar 2009, at 15:12, Jonas Maebe wrote:

It may even be quite challenging to generate debug information for something like that with Stabs. For DWARF, it seems there is some code that generates debug information in some cases, but only for "var a: type absolute b;"-style expressions (although I can't even trigger that at first sight).

With DWARF3, this should also be quite doable.

It turned out that DWARF2 was enough, so the implementation should already work with currently released GDB versions (see http://bugs.freepascal.org/view.php?id=13313 for some caveats).

And in fact, the same can be done to generate for properties that directly map to variables/fields. Just one question: what should the debug information point the debugger to in case of a) a property without a read specifier, but with a write specifier going directly to a field? Nothing, or that field? b) a property with a read specifier that is a function call, but with a write specifier directly going to a field? Nothing, or that field? (as long as we do not support encoding property accessor function calls into the debug information, and/or when we do but determine that the accessor can have side effects)

Jonas