On 14 Mar 2009, at 15:27, Paul Ishenin wrote:

Jonas Maebe wrote:

It's the DWARF version of the lineinfo unit. It's only required to get line numbers in backtraces when a program crashes. Apparently, it hasn't been ported to Win32 yet, but it's not required to debug. Just leave out the -gl parameter.
Ok, I tried to fix it by changing makefile in the rtl\win32 directory but then gdb complained about dwarf offsets.

That's known for Windows and DWARF2, because nobody really ever tested/ fixed DWARF2 support in the compiler for Windows (and I can't do it). According to http://bugs.freepascal.org/view.php?id=12872, it should however work.

See Tomas' mail for why your test didn't work. With -gl, the compiler (still) uses stabs. Also note that some cases (the ones outlined in my comment at http://bugs.freepascal.org/view.php?id=13313 ) absolute references probably won't work yet with -Xg. The reason why is explained here: http://sourceware.org/ml/gdb/2009-03/msg00085.html

Jonas