On 16 May 2009, at 22:22, Joost van der Sluis wrote:

I've finally succeeded in buildin gdb-archer on windows using mingw.

Which branch did you build? "archer"? If you built "master" instead: that's just regular gdb cvs imported in git (used for keeping all the different branches in sync with gdb cvs), so in that case it's normal that DWARF3 barely works.

wanted to look how things are working using dwarf-3 debug info.

Jonas, are there any things I could try using dwarf-3 which should not
work using dwarf-2/stabs? Or somehing I really need Archer for?

You should be able to print dynamic arrays and ansistrings with it using the regular "print" command.

There are quite a few things that don't work using -gw3, though. Like
evaluating simple (local) variables.

That worked for me when I last tried it (that was a while ago though). But in general it's barely tested. There's a bunch of DWARF2 stuff that's overridden by DWARF3 methods (from before I ever touched dbgdwarf.pas), and most of the corresponding DWARF2 code has been significantly fixed/altered since then (e.g., debug info for classes and objects). So it's quite expected that currently several things work worse with DWARF3 than with DWARF2.

Shall I try to make simple examples and file bug-reports?

You can, but I don't know if it's very useful at this point. No one has even started testing and debugging it.

Is -gw3
supposed to work on windows at all? (Yuri?)

There is no difference in how DWARF2 and DWARF3 are encoded at the assembler/object file level.

Jonas