Leif Ekblad schrieb:
IMO, I wouldn't support wide-character (UnicodeString) strings for anything new. In the beginning the wide-character string had the advantage of being able to represent all characters with 2 bytes, but this is no longer the case. I would switch to UTF-8
instead and keep characters 1 byte long. A switch to UTF-8 only affects a
small amount of the code-base, and doesn't break string references.

That's how Unicode currently is handled, e.g. in Lazarus, and the mix of codepages, e.g. for filenames, is a source of eternal trouble :-(

I'd be happy with AnsiStrings with an Encoding, but a good implementation would require UnicodeStrings for the codepage conversion.

DoDi