On Fri, 23 Mar 2018, Sven Barth via fpc-devel wrote:

R0b0t1 <r03...@gmail.com> schrieb am Fr., 23. März 2018, 16:07:

IMHO preferably not the unit names (as in 'unit XxX') - with case
sensitive file names on Unix, this change might increase time for
searching the respective file (somewhat). Obviously, all further
references of the unit (as in 'SysUtils.Execute') should be fine.

I don't understand how it would increase the search time. I believe
what happens is all names are converted to lowercase for the search,
as in the strings taken from the user or their files and the names
taken from the disk are both converted to lower case before
comparisons are made.

FPC first looks for the unit with the name as is, then lower case and
finally upper case.

Yes, but this is done in memory in the directory cache.

I tested make all, there is no discernable difference in time, so I applied
the patch from Ondrej.