On 21.04.2018 13:38, Martok wrote:
Am 20.04.2018 um 21:35 schrieb Ondrej Pokorny:
Therefore I enabled the IS/AS operators on enums with holes only in Delphi mode
and disabled them in all other modes.
Please do not do this. The other modes are the only ones that really need it, in
Delphi mode, nothing should break on invalid enum values anyway (if it does, it
is a compiler error).

This was just an extension I added because Sven asked for it earlier in this thread: http://lists.freepascal.org/pipermail/fpc-devel/2018-April/038758.html

You know that I agree with you on the enum topic (and the case optimization as well). With the new IS/AS I am just trying to get a convenient and built-in way to check for valid enum values - with "valid" I mean "valid" as the FPC team understands it (since they do the rules).

How the IS/AS operator will be implemented and if it will be implemented at all and not rejected is upon the FPC developers that will finally decide about merging it to trunk. I am quite sure they will modify the patch before applying anyway to comply with their philosophy.

My goal is to get the best from it. If disallowing of IS/AS for enums with holes in FPC modes is a requirement for applying the patch, I am OK with this sacrifice.

Ondrej