On Wed, 2 Jan 2019, Mattias Gaertner via fpc-devel wrote:

> Warnings can always be disabled by {$warn NR off} or - I believe - a
> command line switch.
> One could also decide to have it be a default off warning for the
> non ISO modes (FPC, Delphi, MacPas) like some of the string
> conversion warnings.
I would strongly advise to have it off by default for all but the ISO
modes.

You have perfectly valid code today (see the example of indexed
properties) which would start generating exceptions, and you should
not be forced to add a {$ } directive or an "else" clause to a case
statement for this.

I do hope you meant warnings, not exceptions.

Yes, sorry, typo :(

I agree this warning is very useful for enumerated types, but really
not for integers. There are too many cases where it would be a false
positive.

I have a lot of code with enums, where these warnings will force me to
do a lot of changes.

I can imagine it.

Maybe the warning should also depend on the range checking on/off switch.