Am 19.09.2019 um 21:07 schrieb Kirinn:
I've stumbled on a situation where a case statement compiles when I wouldn't expect it to. I would expect the below code to produce a compile error:

    program test;

    var i : byte = 5;

    begin

        case i of

            0..4: writeln('value is ', i);

            else writeln('Else!');

            i := 3;

            writeln(i);

        end;

    end.

This compiles without errors or warnings on FPC 3.0.4 and produces the output:

    Else!

    3

None of the documentation I've looked at suggests that a case-else is implicitly a block. All examples in the documentation show only a single statement in any else clause, or an explicit begin-end block.

Is this expected behavior? If yes, the reference guide (13.2.2) would benefit from mentioning this.
That is indeed by design (at least Delphi compiles it as well). You can file a bug report against the documentation so that it isn't forgotten.