Am 17.07.2020 um 23:29 schrieb Michael Van Canneyt via fpc-devel:
First you'll have to explain something:
Why does it break existing code according to you ?
The default library name is the same in both units.
Compile and run the noguidemo in the Lazarus folder components/tachart/demo/nogui. It creates a chart without a gui and saves it as a png file. Compiling with fpc 3.0.4 this occurs immediately and flawlessly. Compiling with fpc 3.2.0 or fpc trunk, however, there is an error message that the freetype.dll is not found.

So, the changes in ftfont.pp are "breaking", because a program which used to work correctly had stopped working. I do agree, though, that my phrasing "code-breaking" was not correct, strictly speaking, because no changes in code are required to make the program run: the user only must provide the freetype.dll (of the correct bitness).

I do not have a problem with this change when I know that there was good reason behind it and it  was not made by incidence or error (such things happen...). But in any case, a breaking change should be mentioned in the official wiki pages.