On Thu, Jan 13, 2022 at 11:28 AM Nikolay Nikolov via fpc-devel <
fpc-devel@lists.freepascal.org> wrote:

> So, instead of giving actual benchmark data on the Windows performance,
> you speculate by claiming that having faster exception handling matters,
> and then you immediately debunk your own argument by admitting it probably
> doesn't matter for the compilation speed.

 I went ahead and tested "make cycle" for both ppcx64.exe and ppc386.exe,
using PowerShell's "Measure Command" for timing as it's the most accurate
method I'm aware of on Windows. Both results came in under one minute, and
the 64-bit compiler *was *faster, though not by a large amount for that
relatively short workload (I might test a full repo build later to see what
the differences are like between longer compilations). This also would seem
to show that what CPU you have basically stops mattering after a certain
point as far as FPC's performance goes, as mine is MUCH slower than yours
(i7-4790K clocked at 4.6GHz currently).

64-bit:

PS D:\fpclaz\FPCSource\compiler> Measure-Command {Start-Process make
-ArgumentList "cycle PP=D:\fpclaz\fpc\bin\x86_64-win64\ppcx64.exe" -Wait}

Days              : 0
Hours             : 0
Minutes           : 0
Seconds           : 52
Milliseconds      : 815
Ticks             : 528157597
TotalDays         : 0.000611293515046296
TotalHours        : 0.0146710443611111
TotalMinutes      : 0.880262661666667
TotalSeconds      : 52.8157597
TotalMilliseconds : 52815.7597

32-bit:

PS D:\fpclaz\fpcsource\compiler> Measure-Command {Start-Process make
-ArgumentList "cycle PP=D:\fpclaz\fpc\bin\x86_64-win64\ppc386.exe" -Wait}

Days              : 0
Hours             : 0
Minutes           : 0
Seconds           : 56
Milliseconds      : 873
Ticks             : 568733659
TotalDays         : 0.000658256549768519
TotalHours        : 0.0157981571944444
TotalMinutes      : 0.947889431666667
TotalSeconds      : 56.8733659
TotalMilliseconds : 56873.3659