On 2023-10-07 03:57, J. Gareth Moreton via fpc-devel wrote:

Hi Kit,

Do you think this should suffice? Originally it ran for 1,000,000
repetitions but I fear that will take way too long on a 486, so I
reduced it to 10,000.

OK, I tried it now. First of all, after turning on the old machine, I realized that it wasn't Intel but AMD 486 DX4 - sorry for my bad memory. :-( I compiled and ran the test under OS/2 there (I was too lazy to boot it to DOS ;-) ), but I assume that it shouldn't make any substantial difference. The ADD and LEA results were basically the same there, both around 100 ns / call. The Pascal result was around twice as long. Interestingly, the Pascal result for FPC 3.2.2 was around 10% longer than the same source compiled with FPC 2.0.3 (the assembler versions were obviously the same for both FPC versions; I tried compiling it also with FPC 1.0.10 and the assembler versions were more than three times slower due to missing support for the nostackframe directive).

I tested it under the AMD Athlon 1 GHz machine as well and again, the results for LEA and ADD are basically equal (both 3.1 ns/call) and the result for Pascal slightly more than twice (7.3 ns/call). However, rather surprisingly for me, the overall test run was _much_ longer there?! Finally, I tried compiling the test on a 64-bit machine (AMD A9-9425) with Linux (compiled for 64-bits with FPC 3.2.3 compiled from a fresh 3.2 branch). The Pascal version shows about 4 ns/call, but the assembler version runs forever - well, certainly much longer than my patience lasts. I haven't tried to analyze the reasons, but that's what I get.

Tomas