On 2012-09-27 10:11, Sven Barth wrote:
I think Henry meant that differently.

I understood Henry perfectly. I worked like that too. Desktop and work, and laptop at home. Maybe our tolerances to what is "brain energy" is quite different. Maybe Henry just hasn't bother to learn the shortcuts or features of the News client he uses.

Take Mozilla Thunderbird as an example...here are some shortcuts:

   R - mark whole thread as read. If the topic doesn't grab my attention
       this option gets used often.
   N - Jump to next unread message. This jumps across message topics
       too. I also have Thunderbird setup to mark a message as read as
       soon as the message has been opened - no delays.
   C - short for "catch-up". Mark message as read between dates. Great
       for if you have been away on holiday, and don't care about
       old topics.
   \ - collapse all expanded message threads. Quickly giving you an
       overview of what is going on.

There are lots more like these. Then I haven't even touched on message filters. eg: I have standard filters in email and news clients that mark topics in green if they replied to one of my messages, or it has my name mentioned.

With all these, it literally too me <10 seconds to sync my home laptop to the same message state I left my work PC. Considering how long it takes to actually read and reply to messages, than <10 is hardly any effort or "brain energy".

Now these things simply can't be done with Web Forums. 99% of them have linear views (think Gmail layout here) or hierarchies (of whole messages), and not just a hierarchy of titles. So you scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll.....ZZZZzzzzz... Oh, and then each new topic needs to be clicked and whole web pages need to be reloaded, with MB's of images and JavaScript etc, and that is so damn slow compared to NNTP clients which just pulls the actual message when you need it. I have a 60Mb fibre optic internet connection, and I still think web forums are slow!

I don't care how old the NNTP protocol is. The reality, even after 30+ years, is than Newsgroups are still miles ahead of the current 'web forums' idea.

      Graeme.