On 08/14/2015 11:02 AM, Karoly Balogh (Charlie/SGR) wrote:
Hi,

On Fri, 14 Aug 2015, Nikolay Nikolov wrote:

On 08/13/2015 11:47 PM, Jonas Maebe wrote:
http://it.slashdot.org/story/15/08/13/1229239

In all fairness, they also optimise it so that they emit fewer checks
(if you check whether X of the correct type in one statement, you may
not have to check it again in the next etc) and hence reduce the run
time overhead. Still... :)
Well, now all they need is a decent equivalent to Pascal's units (instead of
relying on preprocessor hacks such as #include),
Meet the C(++) Modules proposal:
http://llvm.org/devmtg/2012-11/Gregor-Modules.pdf

I think CLang/LLVM already implemented it.
http://clang.llvm.org/docs/Modules.html

Almost like Pascal's units. :) Although they don't include namespaces and
not intended for binary distribution.
Yes, I know about them, but come on... Turbo Pascal introduced units in 1987 (in TP4). I think UCSD Pascal had them even before that (I never used UCSD, so I don't know). Since then, they've become de facto standard in pretty much every Pascal implementation that matters (even though they're not in ISO Pascal). C++ has a draft proposal in 2012 (only 25 years after TP4) and only one compiler implementation in 2015.

Nikolay