On 26/02/16 10:20, Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:
[the history of OpenMOSIX, really good writeup, thanks!]

For me what dragged me to OpenMOSIX was that, unlike Beowulf,
it did not require to recompile any programs it was to run,
with some nifty special libraries. And the members of the cluster
still are usable machines.

Back in uni, in 2004, I attempted to create a lab environment,
with OpenMOSIX booted off couple of CD's of remastered Knoppix, on 4 computers,
running Octave for extensively used Matlab-like calculations,
since some people only could be bothered running Matlab or alikes.

When it did run, it ran well.
Enough for the members of the exam panel to be convinced anyway.

(When the techies found out, they blocked booting off CD's in the lab
and password protected all the BIOSes L( and could not be
persuaded to let me boot them for demo on exam day...)

So I was really surprised when I read Moshe's reasons for abandoning
OpenMOSIX.

Imagine what would happen if someone had 'married' OpenMOSIX with
the today's idea of OS or application containers...

Memories ;) come crashing down.

-L.