Hello,

It seems, maybe, that most people using freepascal actually come from a
different environment (esp Delphi) with all needed knowledge about (a dialect
of) the language itself, here in fact Pascal *and* object Pascal; and also
about its major utilities (& common libraries). How do *real* newcomers manage
to get this knowledge?

The FAQ states:
20. Standard units
To see the list of base units supplied with Free Pascal, and on which platform
they are supported, consult the Free Pascal user's manual. There is also a
short description of what each unit does in the same section of the manual.

But I'm too stupid to find the mentionned description. The user manual only
holds a plain list of units (not pointers to descriptions elsewhere). The
reference manual does not hold anything about standard units. The programmer
manual is all about the compiler itself. Or am I blind? Where to find a how to
use them?

Ditto about builtin functions & procedures. I found by chance an older ref
manual (version 1.0.8 -- may 2003) at
http://www2.toki.or.id/fpcdoc/ref/ref.html that holds a desc of funcs & procs.
But I don't know how up-to-date it is. This part has disappeared from current
ref.

Denis

PS: I still don't get my own messages to the list. Anyone knows why?