Mattias Gaertner wrote:
On Fri, 20 Apr 2012 18:26:28 +0200
Florian Klaempfl<flor...@freepascal.org>  wrote:

Am 19.04.2012 14:11, schrieb OBones:
I looked around in the documentation for "standard input", "pipe", but
apart from ways to access them from within a program, I was not able to
find any information.
Is this possible? If yes, how should I proceed?
Do you have any proof that writing/reading to the files to disk is an
issue? On modern harddisks and OSes the plain I/O speed is normally not
the issue when compiling.
True.
Lazarus make clean all under Linux 64 bit:

ramdisk:
real    1m8.377s
user    1m2.584s
sys     0m4.212s

disk:
real    1m11.661s
user    1m5.488s
sys     0m4.352s
Ah but I don't have any doubt regarding Linux performance, problem is that I'm building under Windows where performances are an order of magnitude lower. And because I have to split my generated files so that FPC does not hit the 2GB memory limit (which it does for a 15M source file), the disk performances are getting more critical.

Thanks for the testing anyway.