On 30/08/2012 09:04, Arioch wrote:

> Ralf A. Quint wrote
>>
>> At 12:09 AM 8/30/2012, michael.vancanneyt@ wrote:
>>> They are IMHO a negation of what pascal stands for. If your
>>> programming
>> +1
>>

> Well, the same should be told about everything modern pascal is.
>
> Open and dynamic arrays, pointer math, objects, generics, even
> units. It was all breaking the initial Pascal strictness and
> rigidness.
>
> Because what was counted "large blocks" deserving their own explicit
> naming back then - now seems trivial small detail.
>
> Generics are alien to Pascal no more no less than closures.

You seem to be very rigid over your view of Pascal yourself.
With everything you quoted above (but pointer math) Pascal
is not a toy language any more; unfortunately many recall it
as such and keep pondering about the P language...

(hey, I first had programming classes in middle school
on TP6.0 when the strongest machine in computer class was a 386SX 16MHz;
that the teacher had, we banged on 286...
we had some intro to (Borland) C(++) later on,
but after Pascal, C seemed so obfuscated, I gave up on it and
only write small C programs for microcontrollers where it is
as rigid as Pascal :J )

MvC has a point in saying 'pointer math is what spoils it' -
pointer math is itself a 'feature' dragged into C++ from
'c', the verbose assembler :J

L.