On Sat, 22 Dec 2012, dev.d...@gmail.com wrote:

Hi,
concerning the string topic, for me (using fpc since 2.0.4 on a regular basis;
TP experience ~ average user) there really should be an decision what way to
go as early as possible.

- We'll implement the capacity to have a code-page aware string type, as Delphi
has.
  (well, it is there already).

- The {$H } directive will be extended so you can choose which string type you
need per unit.
  (ansi/wide/utf16/utf8...)
  This is different from Delphi, where you don't have this choice:
String=Widestring.

- The necessary conversions will be inserted by the compiler.
  (in fact, they are there already)

- Supplying the type on the command-line will make it the project default.
  We can think about a directive that can be specified in a project file.

Because of the requirement for backwards compatibility with FPC itself, we'll make 2 RTLs: one backwards compatible, one with the new unicode string.