On 2015-08-03 15:41, Gour wrote:
> Is b)’s support for Mac via X11 good-enough or is b) more suitable, as I
> read somewhere, for embedded platforms?

As I mentioned in a private email, I have written commercial software
using fpGUI for the Mac. The client I worked for was not at all phased
by the fact that it used the X11 support included with OSX. Neither were
they bothered by the fact that it doesn't look 100% native (many of
Apple's own software doesn't adhere to their own interface guidelines).
My client's main concern was that the software is stable and that it
works by delivering the functionality they required - which it did.

Having the same look and feel between OSX, Linux and Windows was also a
plus for them, as it reduced the amount of staff training on the software.

> What about learning curve of each one?

LCL and fpGUI has pretty much the same learning curve I think. MSEgui
might be slightly harder. But my observations could be skewed because I
came from a Delphi/Kylix background, and fpGUI and LCL is similar to those.

> but need
> some database support - app would use sqlite3 as storage backend.

Database support is obviously supported by all three toolkits you
mentioned. Database support shouldn't be tightly tied to a GUI toolkit
anyway - that is just bad design.

If you have the time I suggest you take a look at another open source
project called tiOPF (TechInsite Object Persistence Framework). It
abstracts the data persistence (saving/loading), so you simply
concentrate on designing your business objects. The tiOPF framework then
takes care of the rest and allows you to switch where you store your
data (XML, Firebird, MySQL, SQL Server, SQLite etc), without needing any
code changes.

For displaying and interacting with data in a user interface, tiOPF uses
a design pattern called Model-GUI-Mediator (MGM) and allows standard
user interface widgets to become "object aware" without needing
additional custom DB-aware widgets. tiOPF already supports the most
frequently used widgets and has MGM mediators for Delphi's VCL and FMX,
Lazarus's LCL and fpGUI.

I've personally used tiOPF for over 15 years in commercial software, and
highly recommend it for Client/Server or 3-tier database development work.

  http://www.tiopf.com

> Another concern is that, afaics, both b) and c) are mostly one-man
> project, while a) has much larger community behind.

As I already explained in the Lazarus mailing list. I might be the
driving force behind fpGUI, but it certainly has had many many
contributions over the last 10 years.

A smaller development team doesn't make a project any less useful. eg:
The Free Pascal Compiler development team is minute compared to say the
Qt project. Yet I [and many others] find FPC immensely useful, and more
importantly what allows us [as developers] to make a living.

Regards,
  - Graeme -

http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/