Not sure about, if there's an equivalent function, but the difference with
Gzip and Deflate is the following.
Gzip contains an information about the original file + deflate (compressed)
stream of data.
Default is just stream of data.
For example ZIP files are using Deflate, but not using Gzip headers
(providing their owns).

The difference is mentioned in deflateInit2() functions, where a user can
specify windowBits. If the value is negative, to Gzip header would be
generated.

I presume the gzcompress is passing negative value to the function, while
gzencode passes a positive value to the function.

thanks,
Dmitry