Bo Berglund wrote:
But now I see that further down there is a section AMD64/x86_64, which
I did not use since it said AMD. But apparently that is the one for 64
bit. Sigh!

I've added "Intel 64" to that list, which is the name that Intel uses. Both AMD64 and x86_64 are names for the architecture though (unrelated to the processor brand), while "Intel 64" is Intel's own brand name for that architecture.

So how do I get rid of the erroneous fpc? I have no idea at all what
the install.sh script did so I can revert it....

You don't have to. If you install the x86_64 version on top of it, it will become the new default. The i386 compiler will still be available via ppc386 and "fpc -Pi386".

But, should not the 32 bit compiler work also in my Linux Mint 17
machine? Even though it has an Intel 64 bit CPU...

The compiler works. The problem you got was caused by not having 32 bit versions of other development packages installed.

Jonas